12 Jul Think holistically — focus on body, mind and soul
“Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” — Hippocrates
Recovery from any disease requires a holistic approach, and substance-addiction recovery is no different. You need to work on the whole you, not just your body — without a healthy and strong mind and soul, physical healing will be challenging.
Olalla Recovery Centers’ in-patient rehabilitation program helps you get on the right path by offering holistic programs such as yoga, meditation and acupuncture. But recovery is a lifelong process and you need to continue taking care of your whole health after discharge.
Navigating new environments after treatment, making new friends, finding a new job or new apartment — all these situations may bring anxiety. That’s a normal emotion. You need a healthy mind and soul, as well as a healthy body, to be able to navigate these uncharted waters.
Make sure to follow these guidelines during your recovery journey:
- Visit your physician and dentist regularly for checkups. Preventative visits will help you become proactive about your health.
- Maintain a healthy diet and good nutrition. What you eat affects how your body functions and how you feel.
- Focus on mindfulness. Continue practicing yoga, meditation and other techniques that help your body and mind stay in tune.
- Go to therapy. You need someone other than family members to be your sounding board as you learn a new lifestyle.
- Exercise consistently. You don’t need to sweat for hours in the gym — even regular walks will help you get more energy, boost your mood, improve sleep and provide many other benefits you need as you heal.
There are many other techniques, from prayer to acupuncture, that can help you keep focused on your body, mind and soul. Find what works best for you, and stick with it.
If you’re not sure where to start, give us a call. We have access to resources and can refer you to programs in the community that are helping others like you.