29 Jul Community in Recovery
Today you are stronger and healthier because of the choice to start your recovery journey and change your life for the better. Leaving the recovery center can be scary, but there are so many ways to maintain the support that you have felt during your time at Olalla Recovery Center. The four major components of a successful recovery, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, all surround the core objective of creating a recovery community. They are as follows:
1. Healthy lifestyle
2. Stable and supportive place to live
3. Purpose and participation in meaningful daily activities
4. Encouraging and uplifting relationships that provide support and love
Rebuilding a community that will help your new daily life starts with asking yourself a few questions – whether it be the first couple of months out of recovery, or years down the road there is always room for growth. Who in your life can you go to for support that encourages you to make healthy and informed decisions? Do you feel safe in the home environment you will be in after leaving your recovery center? What activities or hobbies will fill your day with purpose? These are just a few things to think about when choosing who will make you feel most supported in your recovery journey.
Creating a diverse group of people who will support you in recovery will help to ensure that you are considering all aspects of personal wellness and growth for yourself. You may have some people already in mind who you know will be a great support system in your recovery journey, and you’re sure to meet new people in the process. Here are few ideas, along with some activities, that may help you navigate this step in recovery:
- Join a local gym to meet exercise partners or coaches for physical wellness
- Spend time with friends or people who make you laugh
- Connect with your sober companions, or people you met in recovery to support each other through this process
- Schedule an appointment with a therapist or counselor
- Consider your spiritual wellness whether that be through prayer and worship, meditation, volunteering, spending time outdoors
- Talk with a life coach, mentor, or teacher to work toward setting and achieving your personal goals
- Reach out to a financial coach, or friend who has good money habits for tips on maintaining financial wellness
Taking all of these aspects into consideration is sure to help you discover what you want in recovery for yourself, and the type of people you are wanting to surround yourself with. Remember to be open and honest with the people in your life if you feel like you are needing support from them. If you need any help with knowing where to start on creating a community, reach out to Olalla Recovery Center. We are here to help every step of the way.
Get Help Now
Remember, Olalla Recovery Centers is here for your addiction recovery journey. If you or a loved one is ready to seek assistance for an addiction, the first step is to seek a professional who can help. Call or contact us anytime.
CALL ANYTIME: 1-800-882-6201 to talk to someone 24/7
Whether you are just starting your addiction recovery journey or have been sober for decades, we are here for you. Our mission at Olalla Recovery Centers is to change the lives of people affected by alcoholism and other addictions.
Follow us on social media and subscribe to our monthly blog. We will be offering support and tips to staying sober, encouragement to stay strong, and information on our programs that can help you holistically heal.